Monday, December 3, 2012

Don't Chalk it Up. You'll be DYING to Do It!


For the past year I have desperately wanted to add an out-of-the-ordinary color to my hair. Ever since the feather trend went out of style, I feel as if my hair has been lacking spunk. Born a Gemini, I will absolutely adore something on Monday, and despise it by Friday. This is a major reason as to why I never followed through with permanently dying my hair with a bold color. I feared (and still do) I would love it for a couple of days and then quickly want it gone.

Hair Chalk is the perfect opportunity to dye your hair non-permanently (great for a person who constantly likes to change things up). This fun and TEMPORARY dye washes out with one shampoo. 

There are several different companies that sell Hair Chalk.  However, I purchased mine from Free People. Being the indecisive person I am, theirs included the most colors for the most affordable price. 

24 colors for $24

Some of the other options include:

Hair Color Chalk
   1 for $15.99

Nordstrom
   3 for $14.95

HOW IT WORKS
  • Take the strand of hair that you want to color and separate it from the rest of your hair (use an elastic to tie back the hair that you are not coloring)
  • Choose the color(s) you wish to use
  • Put on a pair of plastic gloves if you do not want the dye to get all over your hands (it washes off with soap and water for the most part)
  • Take the piece of chalk and dip it into a cup of water so the chalk itself gets wet (it tends to work better than wetting your hair and using the dry chalk)
  • Rub the wet piece of chalk up and down the portion of your hair repeatedly until it has reached the shade you desire
  • Let the hair air dry for 2 minutes
  • Then immediately apply heat to the colored portion of hair by using a straightener (the heat from the device will help to lock the color in)
  • After running the straightener through the hair several times, you may brush your hair so it isn't so tangled (note: when you brush it some of the color is going to come off)
  • Lastly, apply hairspray to the colored portion of hair so it stays on longer 

I tried the product this past weekend with my college roommate, Kayla.  It took us a couple tries to get the color how we wanted it... without getting it all over everything in sight, that is. After a couple attempts, we got it to come out (and stay on) nicely.  





If it does not come out as well as you want the first time, don't get discouraged! I did green on my hair the first time, didn't do it dark enough, and it fell out in a few hours. A while later I noticed what happened to it... it was ALL over my neck. I looked like the HULK. That is when I realized the hairspray really helps to keep the color on your hair and not on your skin. 

Bit of advice... DONT PLAY WITH YOUR HAIR (guilty). The more you touch it the more the color comes off. 

Celebrities are big supporters of Hair Chalk

Nicki Minaj

Lauren Conrad

 Selena Gomez

Lastly, Christina Aguilera
She supports a different Hair Chalk color almost every week on The Voice

Purple

Pink

Black

Blue

What do you think? Would you CHALK it up or give it a try???

It's definitely worth a shot if you are looking for temporary color, and it can serve as a great Christmas gift for young females! 




No comments:

Post a Comment